After we left the casting demonstration last weekend, Rob took us to the Administration Office so the kids and I could sign up to be volunteers. Our first project was to plant some flowers around the sign on the road. Armed with yard tools, a bucket of water and a couple flats of orange marigolds, we set off to work.
It was tough work digging up all of the grass under the sign. There were some spring bulbs already planted so we were trying to be gentle with them. Mostly it was digging, digging, digging.
While the kid and I finished digging out all of the grass, Rob went for a tractor load of nice, rich mulch. By the time we were finished, he had returned and we were able to mound a nice area for the flowers. The area looked pretty nice once all the flowers were planted. It will look even better as they grow and fill out. We visit them every other day with buckets of water.
The entire project took us almost three hours from start to finish. There is another small area that they would like some flowers planted in so I think that will be our next project.
As we were leaving, the kids spotted a frog on the fence. They had actually found it earlier in the flower bed, but they had let him go. He was just hanging out, almost invisible to those not looking, me included. After visiting with him for a few minutes, we headed off toward home, where Otter Pops were waiting for us in the freezer…